. THE MASTERS
Designers, curators and theorists work in a world in flux. They are faced with complex themes that cannot be reduced to readily solvable design problems. More and more they will be crossing the boundaries of their disciplines, while the themes they work on deserve the critical view of well-informed creative minds. The Master programmes at Design Academy Eindhoven (DAE) offer students the tools needed to research and analyze complex situations, and develop personal views on possible interventions, both to improve their individual design, or design theory, practice and to create (multidisciplinary) collaborations with others.
The Master course is an English spoken, two year full time programme. In order to attend one of the Master programs you must first pass a selection of the applications. For more information concerning the Master departments vision and content, please visit our website: designacademy.nl/masters
. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
The Masters application procedure for the academic year 2016-2017 consists of two steps:
1. Review of creative portfolio, video and motivation letter
2. Interview with selection committee
Applicants that are positively reviewed during step one will be invited for an interview. After the interview the applicant will hear whether he/she is accepted or in some cases put on the waiting list. After the applicant hears whether he/she is accepted, he/she needs to finalize his/her acceptance in the programme by payment of the pre-deposit.
. WHO CAN APPLY
The minimum requirement for new Master students is a completed course at Bachelor level, preferably specialised in design, architecture, art or science.
. HOW TO APPLY
For the study year 2016-2017 the application procedure opens on 1 November 2015, and closes on 1 April 2016.
The interviews will be scheduled in the first two weeks of April 2016, at Design Academy Eindhoven.
1 November 2015: application procedure opens
November 2015 / May 2016: candidates can upload their online application
1 April 2016: application procedure closes
1 April - 20 April 2016: interviews
30 April 2016: results of selection procedure will be communicated to all candidates
. APPLICATION CHECK LIST
Only when you have uploaded all your documents and filled in the application procedure completely, you will receive an automatic confirmation of your application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
1. Application form
The application form contains your general contact and personal information, your work experience and previous education and information about your financial support during your studies.
2. A copy of your valid passport
3. A digital portrait picture
4. A digital scan of your Bachelor degree
If you are graduating coming summer, you must upload a certificate, issued by your Board of Exams of your current educational institution, reporting that you are regularly enrolled for the bachelor level exam together with the exam date.
5. English sufficiency test
a) Applicants who are not native English speakers could be requested to provide evidence of their English level. The English certificates required can be sent after the interview date. For Chinese students only it is mandatory to deliver a language certificate. This is a NUFFIC regulation. It is required to have good knowledge of the English language in order to clearly communicate with your tutors and in order to develop and write your thesis research. If your English is not fluent you will have to consider to delay your application until you have developed the level required.
b) Applicants who are not native English speakers but who have attended a study in an English speaking country during the last two years can present a certificate from their school stating their sufficient level in English, instead of an language certificate.
6. Curriculum Vitae / Resume
Practical note: please use a PDF format, and make sure that you reduce the PDF file size before you upload the document.
Upload an updated version of your work resume.
7. Motivation letter
Practical note: please use a PDF format. Make sure that you reduce the PDF file size before you upload the document.
The motivation letter is a statement describing your motivation and expectations concerning the programme and your studies at Design Academy Eindhoven, including your professional expectations after completing your study. Do mention some topics that you would like to research for your thesis proposal in the second year.
8. One minute introduction movie
Practical detail: you can only upload a movie as MP4 format through the following browsers: google, firefox, Explorer, Google+, Safari and IOS.
Upload a one-minute movie in which you introduce yourself to the selection committee team. Make sure that you mention what kind of designer you are and why you want to study at the masters. We will evaluate this video based on the information that you communicate together with the design representation.
9. Digital Portfolio
Practical detail: please use a PDF format with both pictures and text. Make sure that you reduce the PDF file size before you upload the document.
The purpose of the portfolio is to show a selection of your work, interests and fascinations. It should reflect who you are as creative person/designer, your position in the (design) world and your vision. We ask you to prepare a document were you can include images of your concepts and products, experiences of research, design-related or not. Sketches, unfinished or conceptual work can also be included. Please make sure that you do not upload separate images, we require one document for your portfolio.
10. For Design Curating and Writing students
Please upload three to five written essays, thesis’s, reviews or articles of your hand in PDF format.
. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO WHEN YOU ARE ACCEPTED
- Register through Studielink: www.designacademy.studielink.nl to confirm your intention to start in the 2016-2017 academic year of the Masters programme.
- Students who are accepted have to pay a pre-deposit on the tuition fee of € 500 within 10 workdays after their acceptance date. Only after the deposit has been paid, their enrolment in the programme is guaranteed.
- Students who are accepted will receive detailed information and guidelines on visa preparation through email.
- Students who are accepted but for serious reason(s) need to defer a year (meaning they will not be able to start their studies in September 2016) must notify the master office by email, before May 31st, 2016. In case of late cancellation (later than May 31st 2016) you will lose your € 500 deposit.
- We need to receive a certified copy of your Bachelor degree, issued by the educational institution that awarded your undergraduate degree (bachelor level). If you are not sure about the validity of your diploma you can contact Nuffic (http://www.studyinholland.nl/) in order to check if your title can be certified as bachelor diploma. Students who are graduating later in the year 2016 must bring a certificate, issued by the Board of Exams of their current educational institution, reporting that they are regularly enrolled for the bachelor level exam and the exam date.
- For Chinese students it is mandatory to deliver a language certificate. This is a NUFFIC regulation. It is required to have good knowledge of the English language in order to clearly communicate with your tutors and in order to develop and write your thesis research. If your English is not fluent you will have to consider to delay your application until you have developed the level required.
. TUITION FEE & LIVING COSTS 2016-2017
|Dutch and other EU citizens
||€ 1.984,00 per year
||€ 14.554,00 per year
The academy has a tuition structure based on nationality, as mandated by the Dutch government. Each school year the tuition fee will be adjusted/indexed.
We can give the following estimate of additional living costs for a single student in Eindhoven, based on a moderate lifestyle:
|Rent & public utilities*
||€ 600 a month
||€ 400 a month
|Books, other study materials
||€ 250 a month
||€ 100 a month
||€ 300 a month
. CONTACT & INFO
For additional questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org