Visa and permits

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may require a visa and/or residence permit. 
This depends on the following factors:

  • Your nationality (i.e. as stated in your passport)
  • The duration of your stay (i.e. for less or more than three months)
  • The purpose of your stay

Design Academy Eindhoven has an agreement with the Dutch Immigration & Naturalisation Service (IND) to apply for Entry Visas and Residence Permits on behalf of its students. The required procedure will be commenced before you travel to the Netherlands.  As a student, you may not apply for your own Entry Visa and/or Residence Permit. After you are admitted at DAE, the student administration will send the application to the Dutch Imigragion & Naturalisation Service (IND) on your behalf. You will find more information on the website Study in Holland and in the brochure Coming to study in the Netherlands. For a clear and personally relevant check-list on tuition payments, visas and permits as an international student, visit our Pathfinder.

Although the IND generally processes applications within two weeks, we recommend that you start the process early, as it may take some time for you to gather all of the required documentation.

Entry Visa/ Authorisation for Temporary Stay (MVV)

All non-EU/EEA students entering the Netherlands will require an Entry Visa (MVV), except nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zeeland, South Korea, the US and Vatican City State. This Entry Visa is a sticker that is placed in your passport and is issued by the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin.

Residence Permit (VVR)

You need to have a residence permit (VVR) if you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country and you want to stay for a period of longer than three months. The student administration will send the application to the Dutch Immigration & Naturalisation Service (IND) on your behalf. Your Residence Permit will be ready soon after your arrival in the Netherlands.

A residence permit will generally be issued for the duration of your study programme, provided that you obtain at least 50% of your study credits every year (Modern Migration Policy Act).

Study progress monitoring

DAE is obliged by law to monitor the study progress of international students residing in the Netherlands on a study visa. The rule below concerns non-European students with a student residence permit applied for by DAE.

Each academic year non-European students with a student residence permit have to gain at least 50% of the nominal ECTS credits (50% = 30ECTS). In case a student does not reach this requirement, or has such results during the year that can be foreseen that the required result is no longer feasible, DAE need to report the student to the Immigration Services (IND).

The IND will end the right to a residence permit, meaning that the student will have to unregister and leave the country; as the IND will cancel the right to stay in the Netherlands, the permit will be taken in. Re-registration will no longer be possible, as you no longer are allowed by the IND to stay in the Netherlands

This may be the case for you.

If we, as bachelor mentors, master coordinators or study counsellors, see that you might encounter potential threat of dismissal, we will let you know by a formal letter. We will invite you to discuss possible reasons why you have not been able to gain sufficient credits.

If you already foresee difficulty for the coming period, having to do with not being able to gain sufficient credits, you are advised to timely (as soon as possible) contact your bachelor mentor, master coordinator or the student counsellor.

NB. This information is only applicable to non-European students with a residence permit with the purpose of ‘Study’.